Glayva’s home has been the docks of Leith in Edinburgh since 1947. Ronald Morrison, a local merchant, wanted to create a liqueur that would warm and comfort his loyal customers, particularly during the cold Scottish winters. Being based at a busy port certainly had its advantages by providing easy access to many items such as tangerines, honey and spices, which, when mixed with the Scotch malt whisky, created a surprisingly distinctive and pleasant flavour.
The name Glayvais reportedly taken from the reaction of the warehouseman, Hector, who was the first to taste the liqueur after Morrison. “Gle Mhath”, he proclaimed, translated from Gaelic as “Very Good”.
A world of different flavours