If I asked you to think of a delicious tiki cocktail, there’s a high chance you may think of the famous tropical cocktail the Zombie. Created by Donn Beach in the 1930s when he opened America's first Polynesian-themed tiki bar in Hollywood, he kept the recipe underwraps with top secret codes, so few knew how to make it. This resulted in many exotic and tasty variations of the cocktail, but this one is as close to the original as we can find.
A zombie cocktail recipe is the perfect one to try at home. It’s a classic tiki cocktail, and its potent reputation certainly proceeds it. If you can’t find one ingredient worry not, as the Zombie opens itself up to lots of creativity and interpretation. In fact, if you enjoy this recipe, make sure to experiment with your favourite fruits (such as passionfruit) and try both crushed and cubed ice to find the Zombie that tickles your fancy. Get your tiki on!
Prep time: 5 Minutes
Nutrition: 371 Calories
- 1 ounce light rum
- 1 ounce gold rum
- 1 ounce unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice, from 1/2 lemon
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice, from 1 large lime
- 1 ounce passion fruit syrup
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 1 dash aromatic bitters
- 1 ounce 151-proof dark rum
- Fresh mint sprig, for garnish
- Gather the ingredients.In a cocktail shaker, pour the light and dark rums, pineapple and citrus juices, passion fruit syrup, simple syrup, and bitters. Add the high-proof rum now, or reserve it for a float. Fill the shaker with ice.
- Shake well
- Strain into a tall glass filled with fresh ice.
- Optionally, float the high-proof rum on top of the drink by slowly pouring it over the back of a bar spoon.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint
Category: Drinks | Cuisine: Cocktails