Gin Basil Smash Recipe
We would assume that a cocktail as delicious as this has been around for decades. However, Jörg Meyer only created the Gin Basil Smash in the summer of 2008. At that time, he had no idea how successful his recipe of Gin, fresh basil, lemon juice, and syrup would become. Sure enough, as owner of one of the best cocktail bars in Hamburg, he knew exactly how to create drinks people love. Lucky for us, the gin basil smash cocktail recipe is simple and can easily be recreated at home.
With delicate flavours such as herbs and juices, we always recommend fresh as best. For the Gin Basil Smash, Meyer recommends muddling the basil leaves to create a greener drink. We love the bright colour the result of the gin basil smash drink.
Prep time: 2 Minutes
Nutrition: 100 Calories
- 8 to 10 large basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 2 ½ ounces gin
- ¾ ounce lemon juice
- ¾ ounce simple syrup
- Place the basil leaves in a cocktail shaker and muddle them (gently mash).
- Add the gin, lemon juice and simple syrup to the cocktail shaker. Add 2 handfuls ice and shake until cold.
- Strain the drink into an ice-filled lowball glass. If desired, top with splash of soda water.
- Garnish with additional basil leaves.
Category: Drinks Cuisine: Cocktail