5 Delicious Pepper Cocktail Recipes
There’s something undeniably delicious about a drink with a bit of a kick. These cocktails bring the fire in more ways than one - whilst they pack a punch alcohol wise, it’s their peppery spice that really brings them to life.
With Summer just around the corner, it’s a great time to learn how to make some delicious pepper cocktails to surprise and excite your guests. Pepper can be strangely refreshing, and the combination of icy cool liquid with the spicy flavour, gives the perfect balance of hot and cold. Take a look at the pepper cocktails that will add some spice to your life…
This recipe comes from Cayenne Diane and is adapted from Katsuya restaurant in LA. It combines spicy serrano pepper with the sweetness of Lemon and Orange juice to create a lovely bright and fresh pepper cocktail. A perfect cocktail to ease you into the flavour of pepper.
- 2 thin slices fresh serrano pepper
- 1 1/2 ounces Absolut Mandarin vodka
- 3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 1/2 ounce cranberry juice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 orange wedge
- Add one slice of pepper into the cocktail shaker and mash lightly with a muddler. Add vodka, lemon and orange juices, simple syrup and cranberry juice.
- Shake in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Use the Orange wedge to moisten the rim of the glass and dip the sugar around the edge.
- Strain the cocktail and enjoy!
2. Garden Paloma
Created in Raines Law Room in New York, this spicy cocktails offers enough heat to give your taste buds a nice zing, but is perfect for those who want something milder. It’s quite an advanced cocktail in terms of making it, as it involves creating a pepper syrup. However, once you have created that syrup you can use it again and again.
This recipe comes from serious eats.
For the Syrup
- 5 jalapeño peppers, roughly sliced
- 16 ounces boiling water
- 16 ounces agave syrup
- For the cocktail
- 2 ounces blanco tequila
- 1 ounce fresh grapefruit juice from 1 grapefruit
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice from 1 lime
- 2 dashes celery bitters, such as Bitter Truth
- 3/4 ounce jalapeño agave syrup
- 2 ounces club soda
- Garnish: Pinch of sea salt and a lime wedge
- Muddle peppers into a paste in a heatproof container and then pour 16 ounces of boiling water over peppers and add agave syrup. Let steep for 20 minutes, then strain and discard solids.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into a shaker
- Add ice and shake
- Strain into a glass and top with soda.
3. Spicy Bourbon
This spicy Bourbon drink comes from Bon Appetit and uses a cherry liqueur that is made from cherries and spices. We’ve adapted the recipe to include Bols Cherry which is a cherry brandy liqueur with a hint of almond. A perfect treat for those who want something sweet and unique.
Again, this is a more intermediate to advanced recipe as it involves some prep with the thai chile honey. It’s really simple to create the thai chile honey and once you’ve made it you can use it to marinate chicken and fish too.
- Combine bourbon, liqueur, Meyer lemon juice, and honey in a cocktail shaker
- Fill shaker with ice.
- Shake for about 30 seconds
- Strain into a glass top with bitters, and garnish with a lemon twist.
Want to give these spicy pepper cocktails a try? Take a look at our barware to find a stylish shaker to help you out. Or, if spicy cocktails aren’t for you and you’re more of a gin person, then take a look at our Hendricks cocktails suggestions.